Non-surgical treatments in Chennai are considered as a sub-speciality of orthopaedics that deal with all types of non-surgical treatments of orthopaedic and musculoskeletal conditions.
If you are undergoing orthopaedic pain or have sustained an orthopaedic injury the idea of surgery may seem intimidating. In some cases, surgery is not essential to be done at all. And there are various other options for non-surgical treatments in Chennai to heal.
Generally, the physicians treat the patients non-surgically and in case, if patients require any surgery, they would be referred to a qualified surgeon.
Many orthopaedic specialists are experts in providing treatments using non-surgical methods, which include cortisone injections, viscosupplementation (VS) injections, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections, bracing, or simply physical therapy as the physicians have also mastered in providing less invasive, non surgical treatment techniques.
What is Non-Surgical Orthopedics?
Non-surgical orthopedics is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions, injuries, and disorders without the need for surgery. It involves the use of non-invasive or minimally invasive techniques such as physical therapy, medications, injections, and bracing to alleviate pain, reduce inflammation, and improve joint function.
It is commonly used to treat a range of conditions such as arthritis, back pain, joint pain, sports injuries, and fractures. The goal of non-surgical orthopedics or non-surgical treatments in Chennai is to provide patients with effective and conservative treatment options that can help them achieve optimal health and mobility without the need for surgery.
Types of Non-Surgical Treatments in Chennai
Orthopedics encompasses a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, and nonsurgical treatment options play a crucial role in managing these conditions effectively. While surgery may be necessary in some cases, nonsurgical treatments are often the first line of defense and can provide significant relief and promote healing. Some of the common non-surgical treatments in Chennai include:
- Physical Therapy – It is a cornerstone of nonsurgical treatment. It involves a personalized program of exercises, stretches, and manual techniques designed to improve strength, flexibility, and range of motion. Physical therapy aims to address the underlying causes of pain or dysfunction and promote healing. Through targeted exercises and hands-on techniques, physical therapists help patients regain function, reduce pain, and prevent further injury.
- Medications – These are frequently used to manage pain and inflammation associated with musculoskeletal conditions. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen can provide relief by reducing inflammation and pain. These medications are commonly prescribed for conditions like arthritis, tendonitis, or bursitis.
- Orthotic Devices – Braces, splints, shoe inserts, or orthopedic footwear can provide support, stability, and pain relief. They are often used for conditions such as plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, or joint instability. Orthotic devices help distribute forces more evenly, correct biomechanical abnormalities, and alleviate pain.
- Injections – These are utilized for both diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. Corticosteroid injections can effectively reduce inflammation and provide pain relief in conditions such as arthritis or tendonitis. Other types of injections, such as hyaluronic acid or platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections, may be used to stimulate tissue healing and regeneration. PRP therapy involves using a patient’s own blood components to promote tissue repair.
- Regenerative Medicine – Treatments like PRP therapy or stem cell therapy are used to address conditions like tendon or ligament injuries. PRP therapy involves injecting a concentrated form of platelets and growth factors into the affected area to stimulate healing. Stem cell therapy utilizes the patient’s own stem cells to regenerate damaged tissues.
- Shockwave Therapy – It is also known as Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT), which is a non-surgical treatment that uses high-energy sound waves to stimulate healing and reduce pain. It is commonly used for conditions such as plantar fasciitis or tendonitis. The sound waves promote blood flow, increase cell metabolism, and stimulate tissue repair.
- Immobilization – This uses casts, splints, or slings is employed to stabilize fractures, sprains, or strains. By immobilizing the affected area, these devices promote proper healing and prevent further injury. They are often used in conjunction with other nonsurgical treatments to optimize outcomes.
- Lifestyle Modifications – Weight management, activity modification, and ergonomic adjustments can reduce stress on joints, improve overall musculoskeletal health, and prevent future injuries. Patients are often advised to maintain a healthy weight, engage in regular exercise, and adopt proper body mechanics to protect their joints.
It’s important to remember that the choice of non-surgical treatments in Chennai depends on the specific condition, its severity, and individual patient factors. A thorough evaluation by an orthopedic specialist is necessary to determine the most appropriate treatment approach.
Exercise based recuperation might be essential for your continuous therapy for a persistent muscular condition like joint inflammation, or part of your recuperation after surgery. The objective of all exercise-based recuperation is to lessen agony and expand and improve or reestablish actual capability or wellness. This might include activities to increment adaptability, strength, perseverance, the scope of movement, coordination, and equilibrium, as well as different strategies.
Various Kinds of Non-Surgical Medical Procedures
Non-surgical procedures can be assembled into three wide classes:
- Actual assessment (Propaedeutic methodology).
- Tests, x-beams, and sweeps (Demonstrative strategies).
- Therapies to fix the impacts of injury, illness, or breakdowns, including drugs, and physical and radiation treatments (Restorative methodology).
Certain common non-surgical orthopaedic treatments can be implemented at home as recommended by your orthopaedic specialist if you’ve experienced any orthopaedic pain or injury. Some of the non-surgical treatments in Chennai include,
- Cortisone injections or steroids are interchangeable terms as they allow targeted treatment to reduce pain or treat the problem areas that cause severe pains, swellings, or inflammations.
- Mostly, it is used for controlling the pains or disorders in the joints during non-surgical treatments in Chennai.
- Typically, one injection leads to few negative complications and it is not so much recommended to have several injections in the same area over a short time span.
- It is advisable for the orthopedist specialist to pause for a minimum of 3-6 months if you have used the cortisone injections. So, you are recommended to take the injections in tandem with physical therapy appointments.
Viscosupplementation (VS) Injections
- Viscosupplementation injections are therapeutic options used with hyaluronic acid by injection, especially in the joint. The hyaluronic acid, a gel-like fluid acts as a lubricant for the healthy knees as it enables the bones to glide easily and is a shock absorber for the joint loads.
- Mostly persons with a lower concentration of hyaluronic acid or individuals suffering from osteoarthritis get treated through this procedure.
- You will receive about one to five shots over several weeks after the non-surgical treatments in Chennai to get good results as it may provide relief from arthritis.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections
- The platelet-rich plasma treatments are commonly used to address a range of orthopedic issues and injuries, from sprained knees to chronic tendon injuries.
- Blood is mainly termed as plasma that comprises all the solid components like the red cells, white cells, and platelets. The platelets help in the clotting of blood and are very helpful for healing.
- Typically, PRP is plasma with more platelets to speed up the healing process. Sometimes, PRP is given to patients after undergoing surgical treatments for repairing or healing injuries.
- In short, using our platelets, and plasma aids in healing under non-surgical treatments in Chennai.
- Medication may be utilized to alleviate swelling, discomfort, or immobility, depending on the situation.
- Though there are multiple non-prescription pain relief drugs accessible, sometimes more potent medication is required.
- Corticosteroids are an example of a powerful medication that can be employed to reduce inflammation and encourage healing in affected regions, and they may be prescribed as a viable treatment option for arthritic joints.
- Stem cells, which are derived from the body’s natural healing mechanism, are one of the most potent regenerative medicine techniques.
- They can be harvested from healthy sources and injected into damaged tissue to facilitate healing.
- Typically, stem cells are collected from the bone marrow, the pliant and resilient interior of bones.
- These cells have the unique capacity to transform into any type of cell in the body and seamlessly integrate into the damaged area, hastening the recovery process.
Bracing, Booting, and Casting
- Certain injuries need to be immobilized before indicating any other nonsurgical or surgical treatment.
- Disorders like Achilles tendinitis and ankle sprains are treated with immobilization under non-surgical treatment.
- You will receive general anesthesia where you will be unconscious and painless.
- The physician will then move your joint in different directions to loosen the tightened tissue for flexible movement.
- The sterile water is injected into the joint capsule which can help you stretch the tissue and make it easier for mobility after the non-surgical treatments in Chennai.
- In many orthopedic injuries, especially in sports or athletics, the muscles get weakened surrounding the joints due to overuse or by using poor techniques.
- A trainer orthopaedic physical therapist is required to treat and condition the muscles, tendons, and ligaments of the musculoskeletal system to retain maximal functional independence.
Non-Surgical Treatments for OA
Exercise and Weight Reduction
- Exercise is an essential component of OA management as it helps improve joint flexibility, muscle strength, and range of motion.
- Low-impact exercises such as swimming, cycling, and walking are highly recommended for individuals with knee OA, as they place less stress on the joints.
- Resistance training and balance exercises are also helpful in strengthening the muscles around the knee joint and reducing pain.
- Weight loss is crucial for individuals with knee OA, as excess weight places added stress on the joint, accelerating the degenerative process.
- Even a modest weight loss of 5-10% can significantly reduce pain and improve mobility in individuals with knee OA.
To conclude, non-surgical treatments are essential in orthopaedics, as they offer effective management of conditions without the need for invasive procedures. These non-surgical treatments in Chennai can slow down the progression of the disease, reduce pain, and improve mobility. It is important for patients to work closely with their healthcare providers to develop a personalized treatment plan that suits their individual needs and goals.
Read also Knee Procedures in Chennai.