Are you looking for the best spine surgeon in Chennai? If so, move one step ahead to Bharath Orthopaedics. With over more years of experience in the field, Bharath Orthopaedics offers some of the most qualified and knowledgeable spine surgeons in the city. From minimally invasive techniques to specialized treatments for complex issues, the team of experts here has the skill and expertise to provide top-notch care and results. Let’s take a look at why Bharath Orthopaedics is the best spine surgeon in Chennai.
Who is a Spine Surgeon?
Spine surgeons are experts who diagnose, treat, and prevent spine-related injuries and conditions. The spine specialist will first exhaust nonsurgical methods like physical therapy along with anti-inflammatory medications to relieve your back pain.
If conservative treatments fail to address the problem or overcome the issue and if the pain becomes debilitating, your spine surgeon in Chennai may recommend surgery. In some cases, specialized surgical treatment procedures are required to be performed by both a spine surgeon and a neurosurgeon to provide the best outcome.
How Do You Know When You Need Spine Surgery?
At the point when somebody comes to us with limited side effects, we quite often recommend they initially get an assessment with their healthcare provider. On the off chance, if an individual is encountered low back agony or neck torment, we will, as a rule, watch them over the long run and urge them to keep up with great, stable, active work to check whether the issue settles.
In case, if the issue isn’t settled with active work, over-the-counter medicines, or agony the board and mitigating drugs, the following stage is to see a specialist for an assessment.
Numerous patients with spine issues can be dealt with non-surgically. Physical therapy, home exercises, medication, and oftentimes spinal injections are prescribed preceding thinking about a medical procedure.
What are the Causes of Spine Surgery?
A person should approach a spine surgeon in Chennai when they have some common issues relating to the spine. Some of them include:
Herniated or Ruptured Discs – one or more of the disks that cushion the spinal bones are damaged.
Spondylolisthesis – a condition where one or more bones in the spine slip out of place.
Spinal Stenosis – a narrowing of the spinal column by putting pressure on the spinal cord and nerves.
Degenerative Disk Disease – damage to spinal disks as a person gets older.
Vertebral Fractures – caused by osteoporosis or by injury to the bones in the spine.
You can consider visiting the best spine surgeon in Chennai Dr. L. Bharath as he will definitely aid you with advanced treatments using cutting-edge techniques besides offering a reasonable spine surgery cost in Chennai.
Signs that You Should See a Spine Surgeon
When your primary care doctor or practitioner diagnoses you with a back problem, you should not delay in seeking an immediate medical consultation with the best spine surgeon in Chennai.
The following are the reasons to visit the best orthopaedic surgeon in Chennai.
- When you feel discomfort in your neck or back.
- When there is uncontrollable pain after more than a week of anti-inflammatory medications or steroids.
- When the back pain is accompanied by chills, fever, night sweats, and weight loss.
- When there is loss of ability to move your arm or leg or weakness in the previously functioning limb.
- When there is unrelenting pain radiating down the arm or leg.
- When you have the inability to control bowel function.
If you experience any one or more of these symptoms, please consult with the spine surgeon in Chennai for further evaluation as they can guide you through the state-of-the-art treatments to help you restore to your daily activities making you lead a normal lifestyle.
Ways to Keep Your Spine Healthy
The 10 best ways to keep your spine healthy according to Dr. L. Bharath – The best spine surgeon in Chennai:
- Get regular checkups.
- Don’t ignore back pain.
- Practice good posture.
- Lift correctly.
- Stay active.
- Stretch and strengthen.
- Quit smoking.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Sleep well.
Pain Management Procedures for Spine Treatment
When looking for the best spine surgeon in Chennai, you want to make sure that you are getting the highest quality of care. That’s why at Bharath Orthopaedics, they provide their patients with the most comprehensive and advanced procedures for spinal treatment and pain management. The team consists of experienced spine surgeons, medical specialists, and certified physical therapists who all work together to ensure that every patient receives the most comprehensive care possible.
They use a combination of cutting-edge technology and traditional treatments to help their patients manage their pain while also finding solutions to their underlying health issues. They offer minimally invasive spinal surgeries, as well as physical therapy, rehabilitation, and lifestyle modifications to help our patients get back to living their best lives.
Surgical Treatment Options for Spine Disorders
A spine surgeon usually makes a large incision besides involving a complete exposure of the anatomy to treat the damaged area. He uses tiny surgical instruments for traditional or minimally invasive surgery to see an overall improvement in symptoms or to halt the degeneration.
There are various types of surgeries depending on the factors like the type of injury or disorder, age factor, lifestyle, etc. The best spine surgeon in Chennai will guide you by providing you with comprehensive diagnosis and treatment procedures to handle the surgeries to tailor your needs making the treatment effective.
Types of Spine Surgeries
Spine surgery encompasses a variety of surgical procedures that are performed to address conditions affecting the spine. The spine, which consists of vertebrae and intervertebral discs, plays a crucial role in supporting the body and protecting the spinal cord, which carries nerve signals between the brain and the rest of the body.
When the spine is affected by conditions such as degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, or vertebral fractures, it can cause pain, numbness, weakness, and other symptoms that can significantly impact a person’s quality of life. In such cases, spine surgery may be recommended by the best spine surgeon in Chennai to alleviate pain, restore spinal stability, and improve overall functioning.
Some of the surgeries performed by the best orthopaedic surgeon in Chennai include:
- Spinal Fusion – The spinal disk between two or more vertebrae will be removed. Then the spine surgeon in Chennai will fuse the adjacent vertebrae using metal devices or bone grafts secured by screws. This surgery may result in some loss of flexibility in the spine and requires a long-time recovery to permit the bone grafts to grow and fuse the vertebrae together.
- Artificial Disk Replacement – This is considered to be an alternative to spinal fusion for treating patients with severely damaged disks. The procedure involves the removal of the disk besides replacing it with a synthetic disk to help them restore height and movement between the vertebrae.
- Spinal Laminectomy/Spinal Decompression – This is performed when spinal stenosis causes the narrowing of the spinal cord resulting in pain, weakness or numbness. During the surgical procedure, the spine surgeon in Chennai will remove any bone spurs and bony walls of the vertebrae aiming to open up the spinal column to remove the pressure on the nerves. Also, this can overcome the bulging disks or thickened joints with age from pressing on the nerve.
- Discectomy – This procedure is performed by the spine specialist in Chennai to remove a disk when it has herniated and pressed on the spinal cord or a nerve root. Discectomy and Laminectomy are often performed together.
- Foraminotomy – In this procedure, the spine surgeon in Chennai will enlarge the bony hole where a nerve root exits the spinal canal in order to prevent bulging disks or thickened joints with age from pressing on the nerve.
- Nucleoplasty – This laser surgery is also called plasma disk decompression. The spine surgeon in Chennai usually uses radiofrequency energy to treat people with low back pain associated with a mildly herniated disk. Then a needle is inserted into the disk, a plasma laser device is inserted into the needle and the tip is heated, creating a field to vaporize the tissue in the disk, to reduce its size and relieve pressure on the nerves.
- Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty – These procedures are performed by the best spine specialist in Chennai to repair compression fractures and treatment of the vertebrae caused by osteoporosis. Both of these surgical procedures include the injection of glue-like bone cement to harden and strengthen the bone.
The decision to undergo spine surgery should be made in consultation with a qualified healthcare professional who can assess the individual’s condition and provide appropriate recommendations. Spine surgeries can be complex procedures that require careful evaluation, planning, and post-operative rehabilitation to achieve successful outcomes.
The risks and benefits of the surgery should be thoroughly discussed, and the individual should be well-informed about the expected outcomes, potential complications, and recovery process. It’s important to note that spine surgery is typically considered a last resort by the best spine surgeon in Chennai after conservative treatments such as physical therapy, medication, and lifestyle modifications have been tried and failed.
When can I begin walking after spine surgery?
The timing for resuming walking after spine surgery varies depending on the type and extent of surgery, as well as individual factors such as age, overall health, and level of fitness. In general, most patients are encouraged to start walking soon after surgery to prevent complications such as blood clots and muscle weakness.
Patients may be assisted to sit up and start moving around as soon as the anesthesia wears off, usually within a few hours after surgery. Some patients may be asked to wear a back brace or support for a period of time to help stabilize the spine while walking.
Most patients are encouraged to start walking short distances, such as to the bathroom or around the hospital room, on the day of surgery or the following day. Patients are usually advised to gradually increase the distance and duration of their walks over time, as they tolerate it.
However, it is important to follow the specific instructions provided by the best spine surgeon in Chennai regarding walking and other activities after spine surgery. They will provide you with a personalized rehabilitation plan based on your individual needs and recovery progress.
When should you consider surgery for the back pain?
Here are some conditions for which surgery may be considered as a treatment option for back pain:
Herniated or Bulging Discs: Surgery may be considered for severe cases of herniated or bulging discs that are pressing on a nerve and causing symptoms such as pain, numbness, or weakness.
Spinal Stenosis: Surgery may be considered for spinal stenosis, a condition in which the spinal canal narrows and compresses the spinal cord or nerves, causing pain, numbness, or weakness.
Spondylolisthesis: Surgery may be considered for spondylolisthesis, a condition in which a vertebra slips out of place and presses on a nerve, causing pain and other symptoms.
Degenerative Disc Disease: Surgery may be considered for degenerative disc disease, a condition in which the discs between the vertebrae wear down and cause pain.
It is important to note that surgery is not always the best option for back pain, and the decision to undergo surgery should be made after careful consideration of the potential risks and benefits.
What is meant by spinal instability or spondylolisthesis?
Spinal instability refers to the loss of stability in the spinal column, which can lead to abnormal movement or alignment of the vertebrae and potential compression of the spinal nerves or spinal cord. This instability can be caused by a number of factors, including degenerative changes in the spine due to aging or injury, tumors, or conditions that affect the strength and stability of the spinal structures such as spondylolisthesis
Spondylolisthesis is a condition where one vertebra in the spine slips forward or backward in relation to the adjacent vertebrae. This can occur due to a defect or fracture in the pars interarticularis, a small bony bridge that connects the upper and lower parts of a vertebra. Spondylolisthesis is classified into different grades based on the degree of slippage, with grade 1 indicating a mild slip and grade 5 indicating a complete slip.
Spondylolisthesis can cause spinal instability and compression of the spinal nerves or spinal cord, leading to symptoms such as lower back pain, numbness or weakness in the legs, and difficulty walking or standing for long periods of time. Mild cases may be managed by the best spine surgeon in Chennai with physical therapy, pain medications, and activity modifications, while more severe cases may require surgery to stabilize the spine and relieve pressure on the nerves or spinal cord.
The Best Spine Surgeon in Chennai
Dr. L. Bharath at Bharath Orthopaedics stands out as the best orthopaedic surgeon in India and the best spine surgeon in Chennai.
- He is an expert in treating the entire spectrum of spinal disorders.
- Being a pioneer in the field of Orthopaedics, he has successfully performed more than thousands of complex spine surgeries making the spine surgery cost in Chennai extremely reasonable.
- He specializes in primary, complex, and revision joint replacements and also deals with all kinds of sports injuries.
Moreover, he has an extensive focus on updating himself with the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques and treatment procedures to handle patients of all ages with compassion and unique care.
Thus, an orthopaedic spine surgeon in Chennai can handle the patients in treating a variety of back conditions with sophisticated surgical and nonsurgical methods. If you have persistent back pain which prevents you from living your best life, visit the best orthopaedic surgeon in Chennai – Dr. L. Bharath at Bharath Orthopaedics to get an accurate diagnosis and receive effective and patient-centered treatment.
Read also Knee replacement surgery in Chennai.