Spine is our central support structure that goes through everyday stress. It helps us to possibly stand upright and move freely. Despite the strength and flexibility of the best spine surgeon in Chennai, it is not invincible, and over time, it can develop disorders and injuries that compromise its functionality and cause uncomfortable symptoms. Some may lead to complex spinal disorders paving the way for spinal surgeries.
There can be many questions to consider before undergoing spine surgery. It may include: Is it better to consult a spine surgeon? Is spine surgery necessary to treat the issue or would a surgical method be more appropriate? Is it better to opt for traditional or minimally invasive spine surgery? and how do both surgical methods differ from one another? etc.
At Bharath Orthopaedics, Dr. L Bharath, the best spine surgeon in Chennai will aid you through all your questions and discuss with you regarding the factors to consider before pursuing the spine surgery and how the experts here are positioned to deliver a wide array of spine care needs. Besides that, the spine specialist in Chennai will inform the patients regarding the treatment options and help them choose which is the right fit for each individual.
If conservative treatments fail to address the problem or overcome the issue and if the pain becomes debilitating, your spine surgeon in Chennai may recommend surgery. In some cases, specialized surgical treatment procedures are required to be performed by both a spine surgeon and neurosurgeon to provide the best outcome.
What are the Causes of Spine Surgery?
A person should approach a spine surgeon in Chennai when they have some common issues relating to the spine. Some of them include:
- Herniated or ruptured discs – one or more of the disks that cushion the spinal bones are damaged
- Spondylolisthesis – a condition where one or more bones in the spine slip out of place
- Spinal stenosis – a narrowing of the spinal column by putting pressure on the spinal cord and nerves
- Degenerative disk disease – damage to spinal disks as a person gets older.
- Vertebral fractures – caused by osteoporosis or by injury to the bones in the spine
You can consider visiting the best spine surgeon in Chennai like Dr. L Bharath as he will definitely aid you with the advanced treatments using the cutting-edge techniques besides offering a reasonable spine surgery cost in Chennai.
Signs That You Should See a Spine Surgeon
When your primary care doctor or practitioner diagnoses you with a back problem, you should not delay in seeking an immediate medical consultation with the best spine surgeon in Chennai.
The following are the reasons to visit the best orthopaedic surgeon in Chennai.
- When you feel discomfort in your neck or back.
- When there is uncontrollable pain after more than a week of anti-inflammatory medications or steroids.
- When the back pain is accompanied by chills, fever, night sweats, and weight loss.
- When there is loss of ability to move your arm or leg or weakness in the previously functioning limb.
- When there is unrelenting pain radiating down the arm or leg.
- When you have the inability to control the bowel function.
If you experience any one or more of these symptoms, please consult with the spine surgeon in Chennai for further evaluation as they can guide you through the state-of-the-art treatments to help you restore to your daily activities making you lead a normal lifestyle.
Surgical Treatment Options for Spine Disorders
A spine surgeon usually makes a large incision besides involving a complete exposure of the anatomy to treat the damaged area. He uses tiny surgical instruments for traditional or minimally invasive surgery to see an overall improvement in symptoms or to halt the degeneration.
There are various types of surgeries depending on the factors like the type of injury or disorder, age factor, lifestyle, etc. The best spine surgeon in Chennai will guide you by providing you with comprehensive diagnosis and treatment procedures to handle the surgeries to tailor your needs making the treatment effective.
Some of the surgeries performed by the best orthopaedic surgeon in Chennai include:
- Spinal Fusion – The spinal disk between two or more vertebrae will be removed. Then the spine surgeon in Chennai will fuse the adjacent vertebrae using metal devices or bone grafts secured by screws. This surgery may result in some loss of flexibility in the spine and requires a long-time recovery to permit the bone grafts to grow and fuse the vertebrae together.
- Artificial Disk Replacement – This is considered to be an alternative to spinal fusion for treating patients with severely damaged disks. The procedure involves removal of the disk besides replacing it by a synthetic disk to help them restore height and movement between the vertebrae.
- Spinal Laminectomy/Spinal Decompression – This is performed when spinal stenosis causes the narrowing of the spinal cord resulting in pain, weakness or numbness. During the surgical procedure, the spine surgeon in Chennai will remove any bone spurs and bony walls of the vertebrae aiming to open up the spinal column to remove the pressure on the nerves. Also, this can overcome the bulging disks or thickened joints with age from pressing on the nerve.
- Discectomy – This procedure is performed by the spine specialist in Chennai to remove a disk when it has herniated and presses on the spinal cord or a nerve root. Discectomy and Laminectomy are often performed together.
- Foraminotomy – In this procedure, the spine surgeon in Chennai will enlarge the bony hole where a nerve root exits the spinal canal in order to prevent bulging disks or thickened joints with age from pressing on the nerve.
- Nucleoplasty – This laser surgery is also called plasma disk decompression. The spine surgeon in Chennai usually uses radiofrequency energy to treat people with low back pain associated with a mildly herniated disk. Then a needle is inserted into the disk, a plasma laser device is inserted into the needle and the tip is heated, creating a field to vaporize the tissue in the disk, to reduce its size and relieve pressure on the nerves.
- Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty – These procedures are performed by the best spine specialist in Chennai to repair compression fractures of the vertebrae caused by osteoporosis. Both of these surgical procedures include the injection of a glue-like bone cement to harden and strengthen the bone.
The Best Spine Surgeon in Chennai
Dr. L Bharath at Bharath Orthopaedics stands out as the best orthopaedic surgeon in India and best spine surgeon in Chennai.
- He is an expert in treating the entire spectrum of spinal disorders.
- Being a pioneer in the field of Orthopaedics, he has successfully performed more than thousands of complex spine surgeries making the spine surgery cost in Chennai extremely reasonable.
- He specializes in primary, complex, and revision joint replacements and also deals with all kinds of sports injuries.
Moreover, he has an extensive focus on updating himself with the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques and treatment procedures to handle the patients of all ages with compassion and unique care.
Thus, orthopaedic spine surgeon in Chennai can handle the patients in treating a variety of back conditions with sophisticated surgical and nonsurgical methods. If you have persistent back pain which prevents you from living your best life, visit the best orthopaedic surgeon in Chennai – Dr. L Bharath at Bharath Orthopaedics to get an accurate diagnosis and receive effective and patient-centred treatment.
Read also Best Ortho Specialist in Chennai