Arthritis is considered to be a form of joint disorder involving inflammation of one or more joints. There are different forms of arthritis. Rheumatologists or Arthritis Doctors in Chennai are Specialists who treat arthritis and diseases that involve muscles. bones, and joints especially those that require complex treatment.
The most common one among those is osteoarthritis which is a degenerative joint disease that results from trauma or infection of the joint, or age. Other arthritis forms include rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and other related autoimmune diseases. Below listed are the best Arthritis Doctors in Chennai if you have a type of degenerative arthritis.
Types of Arthritis
There are over 100 different types of arthritis, but the most common ones that are treated by the best Arthritis Doctors in Chennai are osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout.
- Osteoarthritis (OA): This is the most common type of arthritis, affecting millions of people worldwide. It occurs when the cartilage in joints wears away over time, causing the bones to rub against each other. As a consequence, discomfort, stiffness, and limited mobility can occur. OA commonly affects the knees, hips, hands, and spine, and is more common in older adults.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): This is an autoimmune disease that causes the body’s immune system to attack the joints, leading to inflammation and damage. The impact of RA is not limited to the joints, as it can also affect various other body parts, including the lungs, eyes, and heart. Although RA can affect anyone at any age, it’s more prevalent in women and frequently starts in middle age.
- Gout: Gout is a form of arthritis that results from the accumulation of uric acid crystals in the joints, leading to inflammation and intense discomfort. While it frequently impacts the big toe, other joints can also be affected. Gout is more common in men and is often associated with a diet high in purines, which are found in foods like red meat and seafood.
- Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA): This is a type of arthritis that affects people with psoriasis, a skin condition that causes red, scaly patches on the skin. PsA can cause joint pain, stiffness, and swelling, and can also affect the fingers and toes.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS): AS is a type of arthritis that affects the spine and can lead to the fusion of the vertebrae, causing stiffness and reduced mobility. It can also affect other joints, such as the hips and shoulders, and is more common in men.
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA): This is a type of arthritis that occurs in children under the age of 16. JIA can cause joint pain, swelling, and stiffness, as well as fever and rash. There are several different subtypes of JIA, each with its own set of symptoms and complications.
Symptoms of Arthritis
Arthritis symptoms may differ based on the type of arthritis and the joints involved. Nevertheless, certain typical symptoms of arthritis are:
- Pain: Arthritic joint pain is a prevalent symptom. The pain may be constant or intermittent, and it can be mild or severe. It may also worsen with activity or after periods of inactivity.
- Stiffness: Joint stiffness caused by arthritis can impede mobility and make it challenging to carry out routine tasks.
- Swelling: Joint swelling is another common symptom of arthritis. The affected joints may appear swollen, red, and warm to the touch.
- Reduced Range of Motion: Arthritis can limit the range of motion in the affected joints, making it difficult to move them through their full range of motion.
- Fatigue: Many people with arthritis experience fatigue, which can be caused by the body’s immune response to inflammation.
- Fever: Fever can be a symptom of certain arthritis types, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Joint Deformity: Over time, arthritis can cause joint deformity, especially in the hands and feet.
It’s important to note that not everyone with arthritis experiences all of these symptoms. If you are experiencing joint pain or stiffness, it’s important to see one of the best Arthritis Doctors in Chennai for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
Dr. L. Bharath (Best Arthritis Doctors in Chennai)
Dr. L. Bharath is a renowned Arthritis Doctors in Chennai who handles his comprehensive treatments at Bharath Orthopaedics. He has dealt with millions of critical cases for patients with arthritis or joint disorders using his unique treatments. His excellency being a Rheumatoid Arthritis Specialist in Chennai has aided the patients to restore their normal lives which has to be much appreciated for his dedication and hard work.
Available Time: Mon-Sat 9 am to 8 pm | Sun – 10 am to 3 pm
Address: Sri Singhvi Health Centre “TVH Lumbini Square” # 127, Bricklin Road, Purasaiwalkam, Chennai-600 007.
Prof. Dr. S. Sundar
Prof. Dr. S. Sundar, the Medical Director of VS Group of Hospitals, is the foremost and the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai. With extensive years of experience, he specializes in performing surgeries for knee, shoulder, and hip ailments.
He is devoted to utilizing state-of-the-art therapies with a focus on modalities to deliver superior outcomes in fracture fixation, joint replacements, and arthroscopic surgeries for sports injuries, among other conditions.
Moreover, he is widely recognized for offering comprehensive treatment options that have aided a significant number of patients in achieving speedy recovery. He prioritizes reducing the risk of infections associated with comprehensive surgical procedures and strives to ensure that patients feel at ease with rapid rehabilitation, allowing them to return to their normal lifestyle with minimal interruption.
Available Time: 24X7
Address: 815/306, Poonamalle High Rd, Kilpauk, Chennai – 600010.
Dr. Lenin is one of the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai who is associated with a super speciality Dr. Lenin’s OrthoInde boutique hospital. He has more than 2 decades of experience in performing more than 20,000 arthroscopic and joint knee replacements successfully. His main objective is to provide affordable and accessible orthopaedic treatment to everyone.
Moreover, his holistic approach to providing treatments for knee and shoulder problems by adopting minimally invasive techniques has created success rates of sheer surgeries. He also explains to the patients the need for performing the treatment with a mission to make the patient feel more confident and leave with happy faces after easing their pain with a comprehensive treatment.
Available Time: Mon-Sat: 9.00 Am-1.00 Pm | 4.00 Pm-9.00 Pm & Sunday: 10:00 am-1:00 pm
Address: No 17/1, Plot No 948-A, 13th Main Road, H Block, Anna Nagar, Chennai – 600040.
Dr. RM. Alagappan
Dr. RM. Alagappan who is currently associated with Hande Hospital is known as the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai. He is an expert Orthopaedic Surgeon in areas of specialization that include trauma surgery, minimal access spine surgery, joint replacement surgery, arthroscopic keyhole surgery, etc.
He is highly regarded for his extensive training in the latest technologies and procedures, in addition to his exclusive focus on fractures and complex joint replacement surgeries. Furthermore, his decades of experience and a broad range of skills in managing both surgical and non-surgical procedures have earned him considerable recognition for providing comprehensive patient care.
Available Time: 24X7
Address: 44, Lakshmi Talkies Road, Shenoy Nagar, Chennai – 600030.
Dr. S. Ramakrishnan
Dr. S. Ramakrishnan has dealt with half several patients over the past decades in being the best among the Rheumatoid Arthritis Doctors in Chennai. His fortitude and compassion in dealing with the patients at Apollo Hospitals are truly exceptional. He along with his expert medical team, are well-trained and highly experienced to give personalized attention to patients by treating them with modern techniques.
Available Time: Mon-Sat 12:00 PM – 06:00 PM
Address: 21/22 Greams Lane, Thousand Lights, Off Greams Road, Landmark: Near Asan Memorial Senior Secondary School, Chennai.
Dr. G. Rajasekhar
Dr. G. Rajasekhar is a Rheumatoid Arthritis Specialist in Chennai from The Arthritis and Rheumatism Care Centre with ample marked experience in treating patients with individualized care using sophisticated treatments. His humble and cheerful nature makes him the best Rheumatoid Arthritis Doctors in Chennai due to the best value of service he offers for his patients without compromising the timely care.
Available Time: Mon-Sat 09:30 AM – 12:00 PM | 02:30 PM – 06:00 PM
Address: 3No 2 C, 86th Street 19th Avenue, Landmark: Bharat Petroleum Bunk, Chennai.
Dr. M. Hema
Dr. M. Hema is currently represented as the best Arthritis Doctors in Chennai at MIOT International Hospital at Chennai with more than 20 years of experience in the medical field. She has treated several patients who have been infected with joint issues. Her modern treatments help the patients to have a good quality of life.
Available Time: Mon-Sat 02:00 PM – 05:00 PM
Address: 4/112, Mount Poonamallee Road, Landmark: Near Chennai Trade Center, Chennai.
Dr. Porkodi is a highly experienced Rheumatoid Arthritis Specialist in Chennai working at Dr. Kamakshi Memorial Hospital. She is an expert in the medical field for treating patients with arthritis or several disorders related to the joints, etc. Besides that, she excels in dealing with autoimmune diseases with her cutting-edge treatments which can be seen from the successful testimonies.
Available Time: Mon-Sat 09:00 AM – 03:00 PM
Address: 1, Radial Road, Landmark: Opposite Cognizant Company, Chennai.
Dr. M. Kavitha
Dr. M. Kavitha from Prashanth Super Speciality Hospital is the best Arthritis Doctors in Chennai. Her state-of-the-art procedures make the patients visit her frequently for consultations and standard treatments as she is the best in the field to counsel the patients and treat them accordingly. Besides that, she works with full dedication for desirable outcomes.
Available Time: Mon-Sat 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM | 05:30 PM – 07:45 PM & Sun 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Address: Diamond Market (Sunita Nursery), Itimad-Ud-Daula Road, Landmark: Near Hanuman Mandir, Agra.
Dr. Prof. S. Rukmangatharajan
Dr. Prof. S. Rukmangatharajan from Noble Hospital believes that providing a quality service with dedication highly helps patients with joint or arthritis problems to stay happy which can help them for a speedy recovery too. His open and direct approach is very much appreciated making him the best Arthritis Doctors in Chennai.
Available Time: Wed, Fri 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Address: 4, Audiappa Mudali Street, Landmark: Opposite Lady M. CT. M. School, Chennai.
Dr. C. Balaji
Dr. C. Balaji can be identified in Parvathy Ortho Hospital as the standalone Arthritis Doctors in Chennai for his constitutive role in treating arthritis patients. He motivates himself by updating the recent advancements in the field of rheumatology and handling his patients, ensuring their quality treatment.
Available Time: Thu 05:00 PM – 05:15 PM
Address: 241 GST Road (Near MIT Bridge), Landmark: Near Chrompet FlyOver, Chennai.
Dr. S. Sham
Dr. S. Sham has the right staff with vast knowledge to deal with arthritis patients in Fortis Malar Hospital. He ranks among the best Arthritis Doctor in Chennai and is well-versed and recognized in the field of rheumatology. His extensive care has benefitted the patients’ health.
Available Time: Mon, Wed – Thu, Sat 06:00 PM – 09:00 PM
Address: Plot No 377, Door No 104, Lakshmana Swamy Salai, Landmark: Next to Punjab National Bank, Chennai.
Dr. Mahesh Janarthanan
Dr. Mahesh Janarthanan who works at Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre targets patients with arthritis and treats them for a better recovery. Being among the best Rheumatoid Arthritis Doctors in Chennai, he provides services in a sustainable manner.
Available Time: Mon-Sat 04:00 PM – 05:00 PM
Address: Number-15, Shafee Mohammed Road, Landmark: Near Apollo Heart Centre, Chennai.
What are the causes of arthritis?
The primary causes of arthritis can be broadly categorized as follows:
1. Age and Wear and Tear: Osteoarthritis, the most prevalent form of arthritis, is primarily caused by the natural aging process and wear and tear on the joints over time. The cartilage that cushions the joints gradually deteriorates, leading to joint pain and stiffness.
2. Autoimmune Dysfunction: Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks its own tissues, including the joints. The exact cause of RA is unknown, but it is thought to involve a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
3. Genetic Predisposition: Some forms of arthritis, such as ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis, have a strong genetic component. Certain genes are believed to increase the risk of developing these conditions, although environmental triggers are also thought to play a role.
4. Infections: In some cases, arthritis can be triggered by an infection that spreads to the joints. Bacterial, viral, or fungal infections can lead to reactive arthritis, causing inflammation and joint pain.
5. Metabolic Factors: Conditions such as gout and pseudogout are characterized by the accumulation of uric acid crystals or calcium crystals in the joints, respectively. These metabolic disorders can cause acute and chronic joint inflammation.
6. Injury and Trauma: Joint injuries, fractures, or repetitive stress on a joint can increase the likelihood of developing arthritis in that joint later in life. Damage to the joint structure can accelerate cartilage breakdown and lead to joint degeneration. It requires immediate medical attention from the best arthritis doctors in Chennai.
How to diagnose arthritis?
Here are the key steps involved in diagnosing arthritis:
Medical History: The best arthritis doctors in Chennai will begin by discussing your symptoms, their duration, and any factors that worsen or alleviate them. They will also inquire about your medical history, family history of arthritis, and any previous injuries or infections.
Physical Examination: The doctor will conduct a thorough physical examination, evaluating the affected joints for tenderness, swelling, redness, and range of motion. They may also assess your overall joint function and look for signs of inflammation.
Imaging Tests: X-rays are commonly used to assess joint structures, detect any abnormalities, and determine the extent of joint damage or degeneration. Other imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or ultrasound may be employed to provide a more detailed view of the joints, surrounding tissues, and cartilage.
Laboratory Tests: Blood tests can help detect certain markers associated with various types of arthritis. For example, rheumatoid arthritis) can be diagnosed through blood tests that measure the presence of specific antibodies like rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide.
Joint Fluid Analysis: In some cases, a sample of joint fluid may be extracted from the affected joint using a needle in a procedure called joint aspiration. This fluid is then analyzed for signs of inflammation, infection, or the presence of crystals associated with gout or pseudogout.
Additional Tests: Depending on the suspected type of arthritis, additional tests may be required. For instance, if there is a suspicion of an underlying autoimmune condition, such as lupus or psoriatic arthritis, specific antibody tests or skin biopsies may be ordered.
At the point when you have arthritis, development can diminish your aggravation and solidness, work on your scope of movement, reinforce your muscles, and increase your perseverance.
Pick the right sorts of exercises – those that form the muscles around your joints but don’t harm the actual joints. A physical or word-related specialist can assist you with fostering an activity program that is ideal for you.
However, it’s crucial to consider various factors when looking for the best arthritis doctor, such as their qualifications, experience, patient reviews, and their approach to treatment. It’s also recommended to seek referrals from family and friends or check online directories for credible medical practitioners in Chennai.
Read also Spine Surgery in Chennai.